Saturday, August 30, 2008

The black jacket: I'm glad I'm not trying to make a living at this...

You know the old saying, "haste makes waste?" Well, inattention makes waste, too, a waste of time today.

I was setting forth to baste the hem of the lining to the inside of the jacket when I noticed something amiss with the pockets. See, the pocket flap and upper pocket are supposed to be lined like this:


But the right pocket looked like this:

Piffle! The pocket piece was turned end-to-end when I installed it!

The construction of a jacket pocket is just mysterious and complex enough, with enough seams and bits already trimmed, that tearing it apart was next to impossible, and would have consumed a lot more time than I wanted to give it:


What to do, what to do? Thinking I may be able to retrofit a lining piece, I rummaged through the drawers until (blessed be the sewing fairies!) found the scraps of jacket and lining. I cut a rectangle of lining, turned the edges under and basted them, then hand-stitched the lining patch in place inside the pocket. The result looked like this:

So unless I get pulled over by the fashion police ("Ma'am, we have a report of a serious pocket error. Please pull open your pocket flap.") it should be fine.

The shoulders are seamed up, and next I can tackle the collar.

No comments:

 

blogger templates | Make Money Online